A “Different” Holiday Story

She called herself “Mary Magdalene” and this is her true story.

As a beautiful, young woman, she was living with her sister in a large town in northwestern Texas. And then she met “him”. He told her that he loved her and she drank in the attention that he gave her. Consequently, she dove headlong into his world of partying and drugs.

Her sister recognized the reality of what was going on and told her not to get involved with him. But excitement and “love” won out over family concerns.

The couple quickly became an item and she gave herself exclusively to him. The partying continued and he convinced her to come with him to Oklahoma City to visit friends for more fun and more drugs. 

But the short drive to OKC ended up in a nightmare for her. Upon arrival here, he announced that they had no more money for a hotel room and their only alternative was for her to “work on Robinson” to make some quick cash. It certainly wasn’t what she thought would happen so she hesitated. The “boyfriend” saw the hesitation, got angry and beat her badly. As she covered her face, fear and shock set in. Reluctantly she gave in-after all, she thought, “what choice do I have?”

So with the boyfriend-turned-pimp parked nearby in a hidden car, she anxiously stood on Robinson street with other prostituted women and sold herself to strange men she didn’t know—all because of a dream of love gone bad.

After several days and weeks, she woke up in a cheap hotel room with her “pimp” laying next to her and realized—it’s Thanksgiving day: a day meant for being with family, enjoying each other and what God had given them. Getting beat up every day, being forced to do things she didn’t want to do and selling herself to strange men on Robinson certainly didn’t fit into her definition of Thanksgiving.

Then boyfriend/pimp woke up and announced that he was making “dates” for her later that night—meaning that he was making appointments with paying clients who would come to the hotel to have sex with her. Two men were already booked.

She refused and cried out to go home-home to her sister and the family she loved. The minutes crawled by as he beat her severely.

It was the last straw.

Upset and racked by fear, she waited hours in the corner until he took his drugs of choice and went back to a drug-induced sleep. Then she saw her opportunity and quickly slipped out the hotel door. Looking over her shoulder, she ran down the long hall to the elevator and frantically pushed the button over and over, as if the elevator could feel the panic in her fingers. The elevator responded by giving a “Ding!” back to her. It had arrived.

The elevator door opened as she heard the sound that she dreaded—the creak of the door opening and out he came yelling and stumbling with a wild look on his face. An elderly couple inside the elevator stood open-mouthed at the scene unfolding before them. Trembling, she threw herself into the elevator and into the stranger’s arms. All three adults frantically pushed the “close” button.

They ran out the hotel to the couple’s car where they locked the door, drove to a safe location and listened to her story. She cried as she told it. After a moment of consideration, they dropped her off at the Oklahoma City bus station with the assumption that her family would pay for the bus ticket home. They assumed wrong.

“Mary” called her family at that early morning hour and pleaded with them to send her money. After some discussion, they denied her request, not wanting to contribute to her drug usage and unsure of whether to trust her. She was deeply disappointed as she hung up the phone.

Not knowing what else to do, she contacted a local OKC ministry who referred her to a No Boundaries International outreach worker. As she sat in the bus station, she called the number and told her story to the woman who answered. The NBI staff person immediately sensed her distress and offered to first pray for her before any decisions were made. Mary pushed away the prayer but the NBI staffer persisted and prayed anyway. After more discussion, the outreach worker quickly told her she would see what she could do and would call her back.

The minutes ticked by as Mary sat in the bus station. Suddenly, the elderly couple who first helped her busted through the front door, scanning the room for Mary. The gray haired woman said, “ As we were driving further and further from the bus station, I felt like Someone told me to come back here and pay for your bus ticket back home. Is that OK?”

“Mary” cried in desperate relief. After the kind couple purchased the $55 ticket and placed it in her hands, she called the NBI worker back and proclaimed, “It’s all because of your prayers! Thank you so much!”

The young girl then boarded the bus and went home to her family, leaving behind her nightmare on Robinson.

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply